Friday, October 7, 2011

Rest in Peace Ed Tall Bear ~ The story of Paul's guitar strap



I am asked often the story of Paul's guitar strap. Today  I found out that Ed Tall Bear, the creator of this masterpiece passed away shortly after making this strap for Paul. My last conversation with Tall Bear was me telling him I would blog about our experience with him and the creation of this strap....so today Ed Tall Bear I am sharing our story. 


Last October Paul and I volunteered at the California Surf Festival where we met Donavan Frankenreiter. Paul mentioned to me that he loved Donavan's guitar strap. When Christmas was rolling around I decided to surprise Paul with a handmade leather Native American strap. So after googling for about an hour and searching with great intent I found a link to a man named Ed Tall Bear. I loved the pictures of the work on his website and I called the number listed. An hour later I was still chatting with Tall Bear on the phone. He was an incredibly interesting artist and we talked on and on about his tribe, land, creations, the earth and our spirit guide. Near the end of our conversation he said; do you know who Donovan Frankenreiter is? Well I made a guitar strap for him........ WHAT! I was in shock! I had accidentally come across the same man that made the very strap Paul had 1st admired. 
I am horrible at keeping secrets! I was so excited to have found Ed Tall Bear and I couldn't tell Paul. It was sooo hard! But Tall Bear and I started on the process of creating the perfect strap for Paul. Tall Bear asked many things about Paul including his tribe and all about his growing up on his reservation and the experiences he had. He wanted to know about Paul and his intention with music..... and then he began to create. Here are pictures Ed sent me along his journey of creating the strap. 




I really wanted hawk or owl feathers for Paul's strap rather than peacock like Donovan's. On a symbolic level Paul had told me so many stories of his walks on the reservation growing up and the spiritual experiences he had revolving around hawks. Ed Tall Bear said he would ask permission from the hawks on his property. After he did ask permission the hawk shed the feathers that are on Paul's strap today. Here is an email I received from him shortly after.  


"Lacey, I am attaching a picture that i was honored to get - i had a 'conversation' with this young Swainson Hawk (not long out of the nest) - they nest across the road in a big Cottonwood tree.  We visited for about 10 minutes before Mother swooped in and told me that visiting hours were over."
Chanshka Gleshka (young spotted Swainson's Hawk

 I can't sell the Hawk feather , but we will include them as a 'gift' - feathers from our Swainson's Hawk or the Cooper's Hawk.
  We will talk soon.               Mitakuye oyasin (all my relations)              ed

 SPR stands for San Pasqual Reservation where Paul grew up as part of the Kumeyaay Band of Indians. 
When we received the strap in the mail we were blown away! It was much more than I had expected and was so blessed by all the time Ed Tall Bear put into this sacred gift. Here is the last email I received from Tall Bear shortly before he passed away. 

"Lacey and Paul - - 
we can't thank you enough for your very kind words and we are very happy that you are pleased with the strap.  We do put a lot of our positive energies into our work, sort of a meditative state while doing the rather of mundane tasks of punching holes, sewing, stitching, lacing, etc.   It takes a lot of concentration and we like to think about the people we are working with and somehow the two combine and come out into the piece.    I have always thought that i am just a channel for an artist from the past, an ancestor, who has more work to accomplish and is using my hands to do this -  i feel quite honored to be able to serve. 
   We received both payments and we appreciate your thoughtfulness and generosity.   We look forward to seeing your writings. 
     And Paul, we are very pleased that you are now ready to take on a project that can do nothing but good for the young ones, the ones who are usually shoved aside and forgotten.  If we can help in any way please let us know.
    We send all our best wishes and as the Navajo say "Walk in Peace and Beauty"      
                    Ed and Tina
                                                  Ed Tall Bear August 1941-March 2011


Thank you Ed Tall Bear for blessing us with this strap. We are more than blessed to have one of the last pieces you made. I am shocked to hear of your passing in March. Blessings to your loved ones and may your spirit live on in peace. Thank you friend. Your guitar strap will be loved and greatly used. It will journey with Paul as he continues to share his story through his music. 












                            For more information of Ed Tall Bears live and artwork visit 
                                      http://www.earthspiritpartnership.com/index.html



No comments:

Post a Comment